Clean Lashes Equal Healthy Lashes! How to care for your Eyelash Extensions!
After you’ve procured the eyelashes of your dreams, it’s time for the aftercare!
As a lash stylist I always remind my clients to wait 24 hours before getting their eyelash extensions wet. This allows enough time for the adhesive to dry properly and avoid premature fallout of the eyelash extensions.
The average eyelash cycle – the time it takes for you natural eyelashes to fall out and reproduce – is between 4 to 6 weeks, with some individuals seeing the turnover as early as 2 weeks.
Not cleansing your lashes is enemy #1 when it comes to retention. So many clients are afraid to cleanse their lashes because they think it might wiggle the extensions loose and cause them to shed prematurely. Beyond helping to improve your lash extension retention, regular cleansing helps to keep your natural lashes and eye area healthy.
Washing your lashes at least every other day removes the dead skin cells, dirt, makeup, and oil that builds up along the lash lines. Remember to avoid using products that contain oil around or on your eye area. These include cleansers, moisturizers, cleansing oils, eye creams, and spray toners. If you are unsure if any of your skin care products are safe to use with your eyelash extensions. Glam Parlor carries a phenomenal skin care line (IMAGE) that you can purchase at your next lash appointment!
Follow these easy steps below to ensure you are cleansing properly!
- Remove all eye-makeup using an oil and glycol-free makeup remover. ***If taking off eyeliner, use a cotton tip dipped in remover and wipe it across your lid, or away from the lid. Never towards the extensions. Don’t use cotton balls as you’ll get into a furry mess, as they will catch on the bases of the extensions.
- Wet your eyes with cool water. Take a small amount of a lash shampoo (provided In your after -care kit) and pump it onto your lash bath brush (provided in to aftercare kit) Apply this to both eyes, one at a time, gently massaging the lashes with the brush. Don’t rub or be harsh, just gentle movements!
- Then gently splash cool water over your closed eyes and rinse Until you have completely removed the cleanser.
- Dab them gently dry. Note: It doesn’t matter if they are a little damp, stuck together with water etc., when you brush them they will re-separate.
- Once they have air dried, Use your lash wand to very gently twirl through them and fan them out! Now you are selfie ready!
Other Aftercare tips for eyelash extensions:
- Wear a headband when you work out so that sweat does not get into your eyes and eyelash extensions when working out.
- Don’t sleep on your face or lashes. Either sleep on your back, on your side with your arm positioned to block your lashes from hitting the pillow or purchase one of our special dome sleep masks to really protect those lashes during your beauty sleep.
- Avoid steam rooms and saunas if possible.
- DO NOT USE waterproof mascara on your lashes, even your bottom ones! Believe it or not wearing waterproof mascara on your bottom lashes can damage your lash extensions. When you close your eyes, particles of the mascara will adhere to your extensions causing damage and retention issues.
- Avoid any king of mascara on , our eyelash extensions.
- Do not use Oil based makeup removers.
- Do not rub your eyes or tug and pull at your eyelash extensions.
- Brush your eyelash extensions several times a day. This will prevent them from moving out of place or becoming tangled. Kind of like your hair 🙂
- Do no try to remove eyelash extensions on your own. If you are ready for a removal go to a professional as removing them on your own may cause damage to your natural lashes.
I hope this post was helpful to you, remember to follow us on Instagram to read all of our future blog posts!