Eyelash extensions have been around for a hot minute. But as of late, I personally have noticed lash extensions taking Las Vegas by storm. Women in all sorts of industries across Vegas are batting their luscious lashes everywhere they go. Naturally, I had to see what all the hype was about.
It’s Las Vegas, so there are a million and one places that do a lot of the same thing. With the lash extension trend being on the up and up, more than a few lash salons have popped up over the past year or two.
So how does one go about choosing a lash salon? Do your research! Just because a lash place has “great deals” doesn’t mean they specialize in healthy lash extensions. These are your eyes! Make sure they are in good hands. Yelp, Google+ and Facebook are all great resources to look at people’s experiences. Of course, you have to take some reviews with a grain of salt, but some common sense will hold you in good stead.
Lucky for me, a dear friend opened up a brand new lash spot here in Las Vegas and I was super stoked to give her some local business as well as get all glammed up.
The spot? Glam Parlor – quickly becoming Vegas’ hottest one-stop-shop for all things beauty and glam. Not only does the salon specialize in lash extensions, but they also offer microblading, facial waxing, and facials. (Can I get an “amen” to that?!)
Upon walking into Glam Parlor, it was like entering into an alternate glam universe, complete with gorgeous white marble floors, sparkling chandeliers and even a cotton candy machine (yes there was actual cotton candy and I was totally here for it). With a bright, pink neon sign that says “wake up glam”, how could you not feel like a princess in this amazing salon?
Since I was new to the lash extension world, I opted in for a classic full set of lashes rather than going full volume on my first go-around (granted, I would later go all out for the volume because who doesn’t love having a voluminous set of lashes when looking in the mirror first thing in the morning). I was happily greeted by Amanda, who escorted me to one of the lash rooms. Behind the ceiling-high silver, sparkly curtain, she revealed a super comfy, reclining chair, complete with a cozy white blanket.
After getting comfy in the recliner, Amanda placed gel eye pads under my bottom lashes, made sure I was comfortable with my eyes closed, and began her lash artistry.
(Cue lash nap…)
About an hour and a half later, I woke from a light slumber by way of a calm, cooling mist (the misting at the end of a lash appointment is low-key my fave part). After removing the eye pads, Amanda handed me a mirror and I was completely in awe! Hello longer, darker lashes! (I love my natural lashes, don’t get me wrong, but having a more doe-eyed, glam look was certainly welcome)
For the next week or two, I couldn’t stop looking at my lovely lashes. People kept complimenting me on how beautiful they were and, I mean, who doesn’t love getting compliments?
Overall, my experience getting lashes was nothing short of amazing, and I have continually come in for my fills every 2-3 weeks. Having luscious lashes is certainly worth the upkeep! I almost rarely have to wear eye makeup and that, in of itself, is worth the time saved.
Clean Lashes Equal Healthy Lashes! How to care for your Eyelash Extensions!
After you’ve procured the eyelashes of your dreams, it’s time for the aftercare!
As a lash stylist I always remind my clients to wait 24 hours before getting their eyelash extensions wet. This allows enough time for the adhesive to dry properly and avoid premature fallout of the eyelash extensions.
The average eyelash cycle – the time it takes for you natural eyelashes to fall out and reproduce – is between 4 to 6 weeks, with some individuals seeing the turnover as early as 2 weeks.
Not cleansing your lashes is enemy #1 when it comes to retention. So many clients are afraid to cleanse their lashes because they think it might wiggle the extensions loose and cause them to shed prematurely. Beyond helping to improve your lash extension retention, regular cleansing helps to keep your natural lashes and eye area healthy.
Washing your lashes at least every other day removes the dead skin cells, dirt, makeup, and oil that builds up along the lash lines. Remember to avoid using products that contain oil around or on your eye area. These include cleansers, moisturizers, cleansing oils, eye creams, and spray toners. If you are unsure if any of your skin care products are safe to use with your eyelash extensions. Glam Parlor carries a phenomenal skin care line (IMAGE) that you can purchase at your next lash appointment!
Follow these easy steps below to ensure you are cleansing properly!
- Remove all eye-makeup using an oil and glycol-free makeup remover. ***If taking off eyeliner, use a cotton tip dipped in remover and wipe it across your lid, or away from the lid. Never towards the extensions. Don’t use cotton balls as you’ll get into a furry mess, as they will catch on the bases of the extensions.
- Wet your eyes with cool water. Take a small amount of a lash shampoo (provided In your after -care kit) and pump it onto your lash bath brush (provided in to aftercare kit) Apply this to both eyes, one at a time, gently massaging the lashes with the brush. Don’t rub or be harsh, just gentle movements!
- Then gently splash cool water over your closed eyes and rinse Until you have completely removed the cleanser.
- Dab them gently dry. Note: It doesn’t matter if they are a little damp, stuck together with water etc., when you brush them they will re-separate.
- Once they have air dried, Use your lash wand to very gently twirl through them and fan them out! Now you are selfie ready!
Other Aftercare tips for eyelash extensions:
- Wear a headband when you work out so that sweat does not get into your eyes and eyelash extensions when working out.
- Don’t sleep on your face or lashes. Either sleep on your back, on your side with your arm positioned to block your lashes from hitting the pillow or purchase one of our special dome sleep masks to really protect those lashes during your beauty sleep.
- Avoid steam rooms and saunas if possible.
- DO NOT USE waterproof mascara on your lashes, even your bottom ones! Believe it or not wearing waterproof mascara on your bottom lashes can damage your lash extensions. When you close your eyes, particles of the mascara will adhere to your extensions causing damage and retention issues.
- Avoid any king of mascara on , our eyelash extensions.
- Do not use Oil based makeup removers.
- Do not rub your eyes or tug and pull at your eyelash extensions.
- Brush your eyelash extensions several times a day. This will prevent them from moving out of place or becoming tangled. Kind of like your hair 🙂
- Do no try to remove eyelash extensions on your own. If you are ready for a removal go to a professional as removing them on your own may cause damage to your natural lashes.
I hope this post was helpful to you, remember to follow us on Instagram to read all of our future blog posts!
With all of the wear and tear we tend to put our lashes through, it’s super important to remember to keep those extensions healthy! Your lashes deserve a little TLC. Prep those beauties to look and feel their best before summer kicks in with these 3 tips:
Proper Cleansing: Cleansing your lashes really helps to ensure better overall lash retention with your eyelash extensions. Dirty lashes can weigh heavy on your lash extensions, thus increasing the likelihood of your eyelash extensions falling off at a faster pace. SO, if you tend to wear eye makeup along with your lash extensions, keep ‘em clean!
- Cleanse your eyelash extensions with a lash bath solution once a day.
- Always remove all makeup before bed using an oil free makeup remover
Here at Glam Parlor, we provide each of our lash clients with a lash care after kit to keep those beauties fresh and clean.
Daily Brushing: Usually, it is always in good taste to brush your lash extensions once or twice a day. This helps to keep each of the eyelash extensions in their proper place. Throughout the day, your lash extensions can get a bit out of order even when you’re not thinking about it. So put those trusty eyelash wands to use! (Tip: I usually keep an eyelash wand in my car and one in my bathroom so I never forget to brush them. Whether I’m out and about or hanging at home, I always remember).
Avoid Oil-Based Products: You’ve heard the saying “oil and water don’t mix” right? Well, the same goes for oils and lash extension adhesives; they truly do not mix. Lash adhesives break down when exposed to any oils or oil-based products, so if you use face moisturizers with oil in them or liquid foundation that has some sort of oil base in it, STEER CLEAR! These products will affect your lash extension retention, and you’ll be back in the lash chair before you know it (which, to be honest, isn’t entirely a bad thing when it comes to getting to take a lash nap, but who wants to come in every other day for extensions?! Certainly not me)
BONUS TIP: For an extra boost to not only condition your lashes, but to promote healthy lash growth, invest in a bottle of Revitalash. I promise you, this isn’t paid advertising. I personally swear by this bottle of wonder for my lashes. It is one of the few lash conditioners out there with the least amount of ingredients that does the job and does it well. And as a double-DOUBLE bonus, you can use Revitalash with your extensions!
Guests always ask us, “What is the difference between classic and volume eyelash extensions?” Although both are a form of eyelash extensions and both produce fuller more beautiful lashes, the techniques are quite different.
Classic Eyelash Extensions:
One individual eyelash extension is applies to one natural eyelash.
Volume Eyelash Extensions:
Multiple thinner eyelash extensions are attached to one natural eyelash.
All of our volume fans are handmade as we go along specifically for the clients natural lashes and desired outcome.
Eyelash Extensions, Lash Extensions, Volume Lash Extensions, Classic Lash Extensions
We are happy to announce we are opening our doors November 30th! Pre Book NOW and save up to $150 on a full set of Volume Lash Extensions or Microblading!